If you are looking for an impressive breakfast/brunch casserole, my Baked French Toast Casserole with Cream Cheese has you covered.
Baked French Toast Casserole with Cream Cheese
On a recent inspection of my refrigerator, I found a partial loaf of artisan bread. I immediately thought of French toast. I had also recently been to Schwartz Orchard to purchase some Fuji apples (my favorite). Why not combine the two into a delicious weekend breakfast/brunch treat? The addition of the cream cheese is just an added bonus!
This is the BEST baked French toast casserole, and here is why:
- The cream cheese adds a ton of richness to the French toast and the syrup.
- The apples add texture to this easy recipe.
- When you bake the casserole in the oven, you let the oven do all the work.
What goes into Baked French Toast Casserole with Cream Cheese?
- cream cheese
- brown sugar
- artisan bread
- lemon juice (left out of the image)
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
How to make Baked French Toast Casserole with Cream Cheese:
- Cream the cream cheese, butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Dip each piece of bread into the mixture and arrange in a baking dish.
- Dip the apple slices in the lemon juice to prevent browning, and arrange those in with the bread.
- Bake covered and uncovered.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the cream cheese with the syrup.
- Serve warm with warm syrup.
NOTES–The three most important things about this recipe:
- Be sure to let the bread soak up the egg mixture before baking.
- If you sprinkle on the powdered sugar while the casserole is too hot, most of the powdered sugar will melt.
- You will need to slowly incorporate the cream cheese into the syrup or you will have cream cheese lumps.
How should I serve Baked French Toast Casserole with Cream Cheese?
Serve this delicious breakfast treat with a protein such as maple link sausage or even eggs. A nice glass of orange or apple juice would also be tasty alongside.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
The cream cheese really adds to the richness in this easy recipe.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14-15 slices artisan bread
- 1 large apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup maple syrup
If your cream cheese and butter are not very soft, you might need to microwave these together for 20-30 seconds. Cream in the brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time whisking after each. Whisk in the half-and-half, vanilla and cinnamon.
Slice the apple in a small bowl and add the lemon juice to prevent browning.
Dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture and arrange in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Arrange the apple slices between the pieces of bread. Pour the remaining egg mixture evenly over the entire dish.
Cover with foil and let rest on the counter for 15 minutes to soak up the egg mixture. Bake, covered, in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 20 minutes.
After removing from the oven, let rest for a bit before dusting with powdered sugar over the top.
Microwave the cream cheese until very soft--about 20 seconds. Cream this very well before adding a bit of syrup to the cream cheese. Slowly add a bit more syrup and incorporate until you have added all the syrup. You may want to heat this before serving with the French toast.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating–xoxo Renea
After you try this French toast recipe, you will understand why I call it a BEST. For another great breakfast casserole dish, try my Sausage and Gravy Breakfast Burritos. The Wholesome Dish has a great Easy Breakfast Casserole to try.
Click HERE for more about Inspire a Creation.