I know, you have been making grilled cheese for a number of years, and you know how to do it. Well, the Best Grilled Cheese Recipe will produce the ultimate Velveeta grilled cheese, and you might learn a few things along the way.
Updated post from February 25, 2020
Grilled cheese has really stood the test of time. I remember eating them when I was a kid, and boy that has been awhile. My mother liked to refer to them as toasted cheese. Whatever you call them, they cannot be beat. They will warm you on a cold day, and are the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of hot soup.
Here is what makes this a great recipe:
- My version uses two different kinds of cheese.
- The grilling technique I use ensures that the cheese is nice and melty.
- By using a bakery-style bread, the sandwich is something out-of-the-ordinary.
- This easy recipe requires 10 minutes of your time.
To make this Velveeta grilled cheese, you will need:
- bread – a bakery-style is best. I used Italian.
- butter – an easily spreadable butter. I like a light butter with canola oil
- cheese – I like Velveeta and white American.
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Lay the bread slices on a tray and liberally butter with the spreadable butter.
- Add the slices of the various cheeses.
- Grill the sandwiches (with the butter on the outside) over medium heat.
- After grilling on the first side, carefully flip to the other side.
- Cover with a lid or baking tray (to ensure the cheese melts) while grilling.
- Continue to check for doneness. Serve immediately.
- Instead of using butter to spread on the bread and grill, try mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (less greasy with a nice little tang). This process takes longer to grill, so you may not need to cover while grilling to melt the cheese.
- Add some ham along with the cheese for a hot ham and cheese sandwich.
The three most important things about this Velveeta grilled cheese recipe:
- Use any cheese you enjoy in addition to the Velveeta–two is best.
- By covering the skillet with a lid or baking tray for one minute or two, you ensure that the cheese melts well.
- By buttering the bread, you will achieve a more even coating of butter.
What should I serve with this Velveeta grilled cheese sandwich, and when should I serve it?
- Grilled cheese is the perfect accompaniment to a hot bowl of soup–especially tomato soup or chili.
- For a drink, a tall glass of milk works very well!
- This is a great after-school snack.
After you try my Best Grilled Cheese Recipe, you will understand why I call it a Best. For another great sandwich, try my Best Homemade Burgers on Pretzel Bread. My Cheddar and Broccoli Soup with Ham would go perfectly along with this sandwich. The Insider has a great article on picking The Best Cheeses for Melting. It’s worth a read. See my Sandwiches category for more recipes like this.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
My recipe uses Velveeta and bakery-style bread for a really special sandwich.
- 4 slices bakery-style bread
- 2 slices Velveeta
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 tablespoons spreadable butter
Spread all the butter on one side of all the bread. Place on a tray.
In a very large skillet or grill plate, place two pieces of bread, butter down, and begin to grill over medium heat. Add the Velveeta and American cheeses and the top bread slice, butter side up.
Grill for 3-4 minutes on the first side, carefully checking for doneness with a spatula. When cooked on the first side, carefully flip. Cover with a large lid or a large baking tray for one minute to help melt the cheese. Remove the lid and continue to cook for a minute or two until the sandwiches reach the desired doneness. Serve immediately.