Best Grilled Cheese Recipe
I know, you have been making grilled cheese for a number of years, and you know how to do it. Well, the Best Grilled Cheese Recipe will produce the ultimate grilled cheese, and you might learn a few things along the way.
Grilled cheese has really stood the test of time. I remember eating them when I was a kid, and boy that has been awhile. My mother liked to refer to them as toasted cheese. Whatever you call them, they cannot be beat. They will warm you on a cold day, and are the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of hot soup.
This is the Best Grilled Cheese Recipe, and here is why:
- My version uses three different kinds of cheese.
- The grilling technique I use ensures that the cheese is nice and melty.
- By using a bakery-style bread, the sandwich is something out-of-the-ordinary.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- bread – a bakery-style is best
- butter – an easily spreadable butter. I like Land O Lakes light butter with canola oil
- cheese – I like Velveeta, provolone and American. If you just want to use two, use Velveeta and provolone.
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Lay the bread slices on a tray and liberally butter with the spreadable butter.
- Add two to three slices of the various cheeses.
- Grill the sandwiches (with the butter on the outside) over medium heat.
- After grilling on the first side, carefully flip to the other side and cover for one minute with a lid or baking tray (to ensure the cheese melts).
- Continue to check for doneness. Serve immediately.
- Instead of using butter to spread on the bread and grill, try mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (less greasy with a nice little tang). This process takes longer to grill, so no need to cover while grilling to melt the cheese.
- Add some ham along with the cheese for a hot ham and cheese sandwich.
The three most important things about this recipe:
- Use any cheese you enjoy–two to three is best.
- By covering the skillet with a lid or baking tray for one minute, you ensure that the cheese melts well.
- For preparing more than three sandwiches, use a grill plate as I have showed in the above image.
What should I serve with this sandwich?
- Grilled cheese is the perfect accompaniment to a hot bowl of soup–especially tomato soup.
- For a drink, a tall glass of milk works very well!
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
My recipe uses three cheeses and bakery-style bread for a really special sandwich.
- 6 slices bakery-style bread
- 3 slices Velveeta
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 3 slices American cheese (optional)
- 3 tablespoons spreadable butter
Spread all the butter on one side of all the bread. Place on a tray.
In a very large skillet or grill plate, place three pieces of bread, butter down, and begin to grill over medium heat. Add the Velveeta, provolone and American cheeses and the top bread slice, butter side up.
Grill for 3-4 minutes on the first side, carefully checking for doneness with a spatula. When cooked on the first side, carefully flip. Cover with a large lid or a large baking tray for one minute to help melt the cheese. Remove the lid and continue to cook for a minute or two until the sandwiches reach the desired doneness. Serve immediately.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating. xoxo Renea
After you try my Best Grilled Cheese Recipe, you will understand why I call it a Best. For another great sandwich, try my Best Homemade Burgers on Pretzel Bread. The Insider has a great article on picking The Best Cheeses for Melting. It’s worth a read.
Click HERE for more about Inspire a Creation.