If you enjoy a good homemade burger, you are going to love, love, love my Best Homemade Burgers on Pretzel Bread. Whether you use pretzel buns or pretzel bread, the taste combination cannot be better!
Updated post from April 18, 2019
When I was shopping the other day, I ran across a pretzel baguette. I don’t believe I have ever seen these before. I knew I loved the pretzel buns; so I thought this would be worth a shot. I had it for a few days before I decided what to do with it. I love a good homemade burger, but we really do not have them all that often. When we do have homemade burgers, it is generally on the grill, not pan fried stovetop. I knew this pretzel baguette would make the burgers extra-special.
Here is what makes this a great pretzel burger recipe:
- You can use pretzel bread or pretzel buns.
- This can be an economical meal since you can use a higher fat content on the ground beef if you wish which is cheaper.
- This easy recipe requires 30 minutes of your time.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- ground beef – I use 80/20 (which is 80% ground beef and 20% ground fat)
- Swiss cheese – sliced
- mushrooms – sliced
- onions – sliced
- butter – no margarine
- pretzel baguette or pretzel buns
- salt and pepper – to taste
Come along with me as we make a great pretzel burger:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in some butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Patty out the burgers and fry to the desired doneness.
- Grill the pretzel bread or pretzel buns with the remaining butter.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a burger on the grilled bread or bun. Add cheese and the grilled mushrooms and onions, and top with another piece of bread or bun.
I just love to smell mushrooms and onions sauteing stovetop. They really do make the burgers something special. And the melting Swiss cheese tastes great and helps to glue it all together. I like the extra flavor from sauteing in butter, but you could use olive oil if you prefer.
My best time-saving tip:
In order to expedite the preparation, I used a stove-top grill top to toast the sliced pretzel bread. That way, I could grill all 12 pieces of pretzel bread at one time. You could do this in a large skillet, but you would probably have to grill them in two separate batches.
Questions and Answers:
- Can I use pre-pattied ground beef? Yes you can. However, I prefer to make my own patties because I can make them thicker.
- How long will these keep in the refrigerator after preparation? Up to four days, but they will be gobbled up quickly.
When should I serve this pretzel burger?
Since this easy recipe can be on the table in 30 minutes, you can have it made faster than it takes to get in the car and drive to the local fast food restaurant. And it is so much better!
Use pretzel buns as shown
If a good sandwich is on your radar, you cannot beat my Best Homemade Burgers on Pretzel Bread. For another great sandwich, try my Easy Pizza Sub Meatball Italiano. For another great burger, try my Fast Food Monte Cristo French Toast Sandwich. It’s one I will also be making this week. Food & Wine has a post titled Sandwiches where they give sandwich recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also see my Sandwiches category for more recipes like this.
If you like this recipe, please give it a like and a share–Thanks!
If you enjoy a good homemade burger, you will love these pretzel burgers.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pretzel baguette or pretzel buns
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper and saute, covered, 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Uncover and continue sauteing for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
Meanwhile, patty out the burgers in 6 patties. Salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the mushrooms and onions to a plate and set aside. In that skillet, pan fry the burgers over medium heat to rare, medium or well-done.
While the burgers are cooking, slice the pretzel baguette into 12 equal pieces. Using a grill top or large skillet that has been buttered, grill the pretzel bread slices until nicely browned on both sides. Or use pretzel buns and grill those on the cut side.
Lay 6 pretzel bread slices or buns on a platter, top with a burger. Slice each piece of cheese down the middle and lay the 2 pieces of cheese on each burger. Divide the mushrooms and onions between the 6 sandwiches. Top the sandwiches with another slice of pretzel bread or bun.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star ***** rating–xoxo Renea.
I have been cooking, gardening and DIY/crafting for years to Inspire a Creation.