Best Recipe for Fried Rice with Chicken
If you are a fan of Asian food, particularly fried rice, then my Best Recipe for Fried Rice with Chicken is one to try. And with only 15 minutes from start to finish, this one can be on the table in a flash.
I am always looking for one pot/pan/skillet meals. Everything generally comes together pretty quickly, and cleanup is a breeze. And what is great about this recipe is that it can be adapted to whatever leftovers you have to use up.
This is the BEST recipe for fried rice, and here is why:
- 15 minutes—from start to finish.
- One skillet preparation
- Clean out your refrigerator of leftover vegetables and protein.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- rice – cold or leftover is best
- green onions – use all the onion
- olive oil or sesame oil – sesame oil will give a more authentic taste
- mushrooms – I use canned but fresh would work well also
- peas and carrots – I use frozen
- chicken – leftover works well
- butter – I like unsalted
- soy sauce – I like the reduced sodium variety
- salt and pepper – to taste
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
NOTE: Make sure your rice is cold. This helps the rice actually fry and caramelize.
- Saute the celery and green onion in the olive oil or sesame oil until tender crisp.
- Add the canned mushrooms that have been drained.
- Then, add the frozen peas and carrots that have been run under cold water.
- Next, add the cooked chicken.
- Add the eggs to the sides of the pan and gently scramble.
- Next, add the cold rice to the pan, and fry for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the butter, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- You do not have to have meat in this easy dish. In fact, you could swap out the chicken for pork, beef or shrimp.
- You could use fresh peas and carrots. You would probably need to cook them a bit longer.
- Use fresh mushrooms. I actually prefer the canned in this recipe.
- Broccoli or corn would work well in this recipe.
- Onions – Use white or red onion along with the green onions.
- Rice – I used Minute rice, but you could use whatever rice you like.
- Garnish – Use sesame seeds sprinkled on the top and/or additional sliced green onions.
The three most important things about this recipe are:
- Use cold rice which fries much better. This will prevent the rice from clumping together as well as being too mushy.
- This recipe moves pretty quickly. Have all your prep work done in advance so that you can add the ingredients when the skillet is ready for them.
- In a pinch, you can use olive oil instead of sesame oil. However, you will get a more authentic end result by using the sesame oil. But, soy sauce is a must.
What should I serve with this recipe?
I like to serve my fried rice with an egg roll. In fact, cooking the frozen egg roll will probably take longer to cook than frying the rice.
Storage of this easy recipe:
This recipe will last about four days in the refrigerator because of the chicken in the recipe. However, this recipe freezes well.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
Who needs takeout when this easy recipe can be on the table in 15 minutes.
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (rinsed under cold water)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
To a large skillet or wok, saute over medium-high heat the celery and onion in the oil until tender crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, peas and carrots and chicken, and saute another minute or two.
Add each egg to the side of the pan, and scramble in place for a minute or two.
Add the cold rice and fry for a few minutes until the rice starts to brown and carmalize.
Finally, add the butter, soy sauce and salt and pepper. Saute for another minute or two. Serve at the table with additional soy sauce.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments, and give it a star rating. xoxo Renea
After you try my Best Recipe for Fried Rice with Chicken you will understand why I call it a Best. For another great Asian recipe, try my Chicken Veggie Stir Fry with Ramen Noodles.
Try these great sides that would be a perfect accompaniment to my recipe:
- Homemade Egg Rolls – House of Nash Eats
- Simple Oriental Asian Cabbage Slaw Recipe – Wholesome Yum
- Chinese Szechuan Dry Fried Green Beans Recipe – Marsala Herb
I have been cooking, crafting and gardening for years to Inspire a Creation.