If you like brownies and you like chocolate covered cherries, you will flip over these Brownie Cupcakes with Chocolate Covered Cherries. The moistness and richness abounds here!
My thought process when I was creating this recipe started with chocolate covered cherries. These delicacies have been around since 1929. Just goes to show that the good things in life are timeless. And since brownies are one of my all-time favorite treats, a chocolate covered cherry in the middle is a pleasant surprise to an already deliciously decadent dessert.
These are the BEST brownie cupcakes, and here is why:
- The addition of the chocolate covered cherry adds a little surprise in the middle.
- This dessert works really well for Valentine’s Day and Christmas, but should not be limited to those holidays because the candies are available all year long.
- The base starts with a brownie box mix, qualifying as an easy recipe.
To make this easy recipe, you will need:
- 12 chocolate covered cherries – some boxes only have 5, so check the amount
- boxed brownie mix – the 9 x 13 family size
- oil – I like canola oil, but a vegetable oil would also work
- frosting – canned works well here
- decorations – appropriate for the upcoming holiday
- cooking spray – I prefer the butter flavored
- cupcake/muffin baking tin
- cupcake/muffin paper liners
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Line your cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners and spray with cooking spray.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add the brownie mix, eggs, oil and water. Mix by hand about 50 strokes.
- Divide the batter equally between the muffin cups.
- Carefully sink a chocolate covered cherry into the center of the batter in each cup. Try to place the cherry in the center. You will need to use a spoon to spread the batter over the top.
- Bake and cool the brownie cups.
- Frost and decorate.
The three most important things about this recipe:
- Be sure to try to place the chocolate covered cherry in the center of the brownie batter.
- By using the cupcake liners, the brownies are much easier to remove and handle.
- Since these are so rich, I would go lightly on the frosting. A mound of frosting looks pretty, but would actually be too much in this case.
When should I serve brownie cupcakes?
This decadent treat would work well for Valentine treats. Why not send them to school with the kiddos to pass out? In addition, the red really sets them off as a Christmas holiday treat. Why not use green mint icing for the top? But don’t limit yourself to just those holidays. Chocolate covered cherries are available all year long.
Do these brownie cupcakes keep and freeze well?
Yes–they are fine in a covered container for a couple of days on the counter. After that, I would store them in the refrigerator. For additional time, you could seal them really well and store in the freezer for a couple of months. But they will probably not last that long because you will find that they disappear very quickly.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
Serve this decadent treat for Valentine's Day, Christmas or any day of the year since the candies are available all year long.
- 12 chocolate covered cherries
- 1 box brownie mix (9 x 13 family size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can ready-made frosting (vanilla or cream cheese)
- sprinkles to coordinate with the season or holiday
- cooking spray
To a medium mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, eggs, oil and water. Mix by hand about 50 strokes.
Prepare the muffin cups by lining with paper liners and spraying well with cooking spray. Spoon the brownie mix into the 12 muffin cups, dividing equally.
Place a chocolate covered cherry in the center of each and sink to the middle, being careful not to go down to the bottom. Using the back of a spoon, smooth the batter over the candy.
Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Cool the brownie cupcakes completely. Lightly frost the cups and decorate with appropriate sprinkles.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments, and give it a star rating.–xoxo Renea
After you try my Brownie Cupcakes with Chocolate Covered Cherries, you will understand why I call it a BEST. For another great holiday-inspired treat, try my Thin Mints Mini Cheesecake Recipe. Since cooking spray is a must in this recipe, I thought you might like to know more about it. The Spruce Eats has a post titled What is Nonstick Cooking Spray that provides additional insight.
Click HERE for more about Inspire a Creation.