If you have a Jiffy yellow cake mix and a little pie filling, you have the beginnings of something really special. My Cake Mix Coffee Cake with Lemon will become a staple recipe at your house.
When I looked in my pantry and found a little box of Jiffy yellow cake mix, I know I could make something with the leftover lemon pie filling I had in my refrigerator. Those little boxes can be so versatile. And that’s exactly why I keep them on hand.
This is the BEST Cake Mix Coffee Cake, and here is why:
- You do not need to invent the wheel here. Everything that goes into this recipe is made for convenience.
- By using the little box of Jiffy, you end up with a 9 x 9 coffee cake, not a huge cake to eat up over several days.
- This recipe is so easy, even teens could put this one together.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Jiffy golden yellow cake mix – little box
- Lemon pie filling
- Baking mix – Bisquick
- Half & half
- Sour cream
- Yellow decorating sugar
Join me as we make Cake Mix Coffee Cake with Lemon:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Combine the cake mix, egg, half & half and sour cream and mix.
- Pour this mixture into a prepared pan.
- Dollop the pie filling on top and run a knife through several times.
- In another bowl, cut the butter into the baking mix and sprinkle on top of the coffee cake.
- Sprinkle on half of the yellow sugar before baking.
- Bakes in 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the other half of the yellow sugar while the cake is hot out of the oven. Cool before serving.
This easy recipe would work with just about any pie filling. You could also use a pudding. Just prepare the pudding as directed on the box, and use it as you would the pie filling.
The three most important things about this recipe are:
- When using a knife to cut in the pie filling, do not overdo it. You do not want the pie filling completely mixed in.
- After the cake has baked, keep in mind that the pie filling will still be somewhat wet. Test the cake for doneness in another area.
- The decorative sugar will somewhat melt into the topping when you bake the cake. Therefore, when you remove the cake from the oven, add additional sugar to the top.
When should I serve this coffee cake?
This coffee cake would be great for a weekend breakfast or brunch. In addition, this makes an excellent snack cake for after school.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
If you have a Jiffy cake mix and some pie filling, you have the basic ingredients for this easy recipe.
- 1 9-ounce box Jiffy golden yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup lemon pie filling
- 1/2 cup baking mix (Bisquick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow decorative sugar
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, egg, half & half and sour cream. Beat by hand about 50 strokes. Pour into a sprayed 9x9 square pan.
Dollop tablespoons of the lemon pie filling over the top of the prepared cake mix. Using a butter knife, run it through the pie filling and cake mix to make swirls. You want to have some areas that are unmixed. (see image)
In a small mixing bowl, cut the butter into the Bisquick using a pastry blender or 2 butter knives. Once the mixture is the size of peas, sprinkle on top of the prepared cake mix.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the yellow sugar on top of the Bisquick mixture. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle another 1 tablespoon of the yellow sugar on top of the hot cake. Cool completely before serving.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating. xoxo Renea
After you try my Cake Mix Coffee Cake with Lemon, you will understand why I call it a BEST. I have other great recipes using a boxed cake mix. Try my Easy Muffin Recipe with Cherries or my Cherry Muffins with Coconut Topping.