If you have a boxed cake mix, you have the base for a great muffin recipe. And how versatile, my Easy Muffin Recipe with Cherries could be served for breakfast, brunch, dessert or a snack.
Since pastries and donuts are a staple at my house on Saturday, I was disappointed on Friday night when I realized that I had none. But I did have a boxed yellow cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling. I knew I could improvise and come up with my own creation. And this recipe hit the mark!
This is the best easy muffin recipe, and here is why:
- Since the recipe starts with a boxed cake mix, it is super easy.
- This is a versatile recipe, because you can use any cake mix as well as any pie filling.
- Serve them for breakfast, brunch, dessert or a snack.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- yellow cake mix
- cherry pie filling
- eggs – large
- yogurt – light vanilla
- butter – unsalted
- powdered sugar
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Combine the cake mix, yogurt, eggs, milk and melted butter.
- Stir about 50 strokes. You want it lumpy.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins that have been sprayed with baking spray about 2/3 full.
- Spoon three cherries in the center of the batter for each and bake.
- Immediately after baking, dust with powdered sugar.
- Use devil’s food (chocolate), white or any other flavor.
- Use apple, lemon, blueberry, peach, raspberry, strawberry, mixed berry, etc. pie filling.
- Add flavored extract to your cake mix for different flavor combinations.
Examples: chocolate covered cherry, strawberry shortcake, birthday/wedding cake
The three most important things about this recipe:
- Using paper liners makes life so much easier. Just be sure to spray them with cooking spray.
- As the muffins raise, the cherries will not. So there will be a crater in the middle which is fine.
- Do not over-mix the batter. You want it lumpy.
When should I serve these muffins?
These muffins would work well for breakfast, brunch, dessert or a snack (think after-school snack).
How do I store these muffins?
Refrigerator – store for up to five days.
Freezer – store in an air-tight container or zipper bag (get as much air out as possible). They should keep for a few weeks in the freezer.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
The base of this recipe is a boxed cake mix. What could be easier?
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces light vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
To a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, yogurt, melted butter and milk. Mix about 50 strokes (you want it lumpy).
Line the muffin tin with paper liners and spray well with cooking spray.
Spoon in the cake mix, filling 2/3 full. Spoon 3 cherries on the top of each muffin.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 23-25 minutes or until the cake part springs back when touched.
When removed from the oven, sift powdered sugar over the tops while warm.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating. xoxo Renea
After you try my Easy Muffin Recipe with Cherries, you will understand why I call it a BEST. For another great muffin recipe using a cake mix, try my Cherry Muffins with Coconut Topping. Taste of Home has a post titled 55 Cake Mix Recipes that incorporate a cake mix as an ingredient in a dessert.