If you are looking for an easy repurpose project to bring more of the fall theme into your home, you will flip over this easy craft/DIY project, Fall Pillows from a Repurposed Runner.
Fall Pillows from a Repurposed Runner
I just love the sights of fall: beautiful colored leaves, pumpkins and gourds, mums in beautiful colors…the list goes on and on. So when I thought of this easy craft/DIY project, I thought of my fall decorations I had in my attic. After all, I had a fall runner in my storage boxes that I could have easily used. But I had not had my husband get my decorations out yet, and I was wanting to start on this project. So I went to my local Walmart and found this leaf motif runner which I thought would be perfect for my needs. Come along for the ride while I show you exactly how to make this easy project.
These are the BEST fall pillows, and here is why:
- You can take a runner you already have in any theme to create beautiful pillow wraps.
- Since this is a wrap which can be easily removed, the pillows can be used all year long.
- There are many alternatives to securing the wraps–no sewing machine required.
What supplies do I need to get started:
- A table runner
- Some form of securing the runner such as thread, stitch witchery or heat n bond for ironing, or fabric glue.
How to make Fall Pillows from a Repurposed Runner:
- Determine the size of the runner you are using and the size of the pillows you want to cover. The runner I used was 13 x 72. As you can see from the images, I actually put the pillow wraps on two different types of pillows–on bed pillow shams and on sofa throw pillows.
- Cut the runner in half so that you have enough for two pillows.
- I used my sewing machine with a coordinated thread to overlap the edges and sew them together. I did not want to fold over the unfinished edge because I was afraid it would become too small, so I overlapped the unfinished edge under the finished edge and used a zig-zag stitch with my sewing machine. The zig-zag stitch should prevent the unfinished edge from unraveling.
- And that is it! Now you can slip the wraps on and off your pillows.
NOTES–The three most important things about this project are:
- You can achieve a completely different look depending on where you place the seam on the pillow. If you place the seam on the front of the pillow, you will get a more decorative look if there is a decoration at the end of your runner.
- You do not need a sewing machine to complete this project. You could hand stitch the wraps or you can use an iron bonding product or fabric glue.
- These wraps will work for September, October and November (for fall and Thanksgiving decorating). Then you can do the same thing with a Christmas runner.
If you like this easy craft/DIY project, please like and share it–Thanks!
The 2 images show how either side of the pillow wraps can be used
If you made this project, let me know in the comments how it went–xoxo Renea
So go ahead and give this craft/DIY project a try. You will be amazed just how easy it is! For another fun project, try my DIY Painted Jean Jacket, and you will be ready for fall. The Prudent Penny Pincher has a post for 100 Best Fall Crafts for Adults you might find interesting.
Click HERE for more about Inspire a Creation.