There is nothing better than a fried dessert rolled in a sugary cinnamon mixture. That is why you will love my Fried Mexican Dessert Recipe with Cherries.
I have to admit, this one came together because I had some items in my fridge that I needed to use up. I had a couple of half packages of tortillas. In addition, I had a new container of mascarpone cheese. This is actually an Italian cream cheese. It is sweeter than the American version of cream cheese. So I guess this is an international dessert with the Italian mascarpone cheese and fried dessert which is traditionally Mexican.
This is the BEST Mexican dessert recipe, and here is why:
- This easy recipe comes together with just five ingredients.
- This is a great way to use up leftover tortillas
- By rolling the hot dessert in a sugar and cinnamon mixture, this turns the tortilla into a delicate pastry.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- tortillas – the medium, super soft variety
- mascarpone cheese
- cherry pie filling – the 15 ounce can
- sugar – white
- canola oil – for frying
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the mascarpone around each tortilla leaving about 3/4 inch border around the parameter.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the cherry pie filling down the center of each tortilla.
- Fold the sides in over both ends of the cherries. Than fold the top and bottom over to seal in the cherries. Place seam down on surface.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a container big enough to hold a tortilla.
- Add enough oil to a medium skillet to make 3 inches. Heat to 350 degrees before adding 2 tortillas at a time.
- Fry until medium doneness.
- Immediately roll in the sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Use any pie filling you like or have on hand.
- If you do not have mascarpone, you can use regular cream cheese. However, you would probably want to sweeten it with sugar.
The three most important things about this recipe:
- If you have your tortillas in the refrigerator, leave them out on the counter for several hours before preparation. Do not microwave them because the mascarpone will start to melt.
- Be sure your oil is up to proper temperature before adding the tortillas or you will end up with a soggy dessert.
- If you are having trouble with the tortillas wanting to unwrap, you could use a toothpick to secure them. You can fry with (you may have to adjust it) or without the toothpick.
When should I serve this?
I called this recipe a dessert, but you could serve it for breakfast, brunch or a snack in addition to dessert.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
Frying the tortilla makes for the lightest delicacy.
- 6 soft medium-size tortillas
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 15 ounces cherry pie filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- canola oil for frying
Spread 1 tablespoon of the mascarpone cheese on each tortilla to within 3/4 inch of the parameter. Spoon 1/3 cup cherry pie filling down the center on top of the cheese spread, staying within the border.
Fold up 2 sides till you reach the ends of the cherry pie filling. Fold over the top and fold over the bottom. It should now be oblong. You may want to secure with a toothpick.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a container large enough to hold the rolled up tortilla. I used a loaf pan. Set aside.
To a medium pan, add about 3 inches of oil. Heat over medium high heat to 350 degrees. Frying 2 at a time, place a log on a spatula (either remove the toothpick or adjust it) and carefully add to the hot oil, seam side down. Fry for a minute or two until golden brown on the first side. Flip over and fry for another minute or two. Using the spatula, remove from the hot oil and immediately place in the sugar cinnamon mixture, coating on both sides.
Continue in this manner until you have prepared them all. Serve warm or cold.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments, and give it a star rating–xoxo Renea
After you try my Fried Mexican Dessert Recipe with Cherries, you will understand why I call it a BEST. For another great recipe using cherry pie filling, try my Cherry Muffins with Coconut Topping. To learn more about mascarpone cheese, The Spruce Eats has a great post titled What is Mascarpone Cheese.