For me, fall is the beginning of soup weather. So once we got a nip in the air, it was time to make a big batch of my Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup–Italian Style.
Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup–Italian Style
I love to have a big pot of soup steaming away on the stove all afternoon; I love everything about it from the aromas filling the house to the steam on the windows. I’ve been making a variation to this soup recipe for over 40 years. And of course, that is a lot of time to tweak it and get it right. Over the years, I have put an Italian spin on the recipe because my husband loves anything with pasta in it.
This is the BEST homemade vegetable beef soup, and here is why:
- My version says, you use the vegetables you like.
- This soup works great with leftover vegetables or vegetables you had from your garden.
- The pasta really makes the soup “stick to your ribs.”
To make Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup–Italian Style, you will need:
- beef stew meat – I usually have to cut mine up smaller than the store package
- carrots – baby or regular size or even frozen
- beef broth
- V-8 – I believe this is the secret ingredient
- tomatoes – I used a very large can of crushed, but you could use a smaller can along with another type
- potatoes – any variety
- onions – any variety
- mushrooms, sliced – rough cut these up or just break them up with your hand
- corn – canned or frozen
- pasta – I prefer the tricolored rotini
- Italian seasoning
- garlic salt
- Creole seasoning
- salt and pepper
How to easily make Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup–Italian Style
- Gently boil the beef in water for about an hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, beef stock, and V-8 and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and spices and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Then, add the corn, barley and pasta and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Kids would really enjoy alphabet noodles in this soup. Just add them the last few minutes of cooking time.
- Cabbage would also be really good in this soup. Just add some rough chopped cabbage when you add the onion.
- You could substitute ground beef for the stew meat. Just brown it and drain off the grease. This process would cut about 45 minutes off of the cooking time since cooking the beef to tenderize is not necessary.
The three most important things about this recipe:
- This recipe can be made in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours, and omit the water for cooking the meat. Just add the potatoes and pasta 1 hour before the end of the cooking time.
- This recipe makes a very thick, hearty soup. The pasta will soak up a lot of the liquids in the soup, so you will need to add water or another can of V-8 to the leftovers to thin it down.
- Fresh vegetables will require more cooking time than canned or frozen. For the most part, this recipe uses fresh. However, canned or frozen vegetables would work as well. Just decrease the cooking time.
What should I serve with Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup–Italian Style?
I prefer to serve an Italian bread along with this hearty soup. Something along the lines of an Italian baguette or garlic bread would be delicious. Garlic crackers would also work well.
Can I freeze Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup–Italian Style?
Yes, you can. Freeze this soup in air-tight containers or freezer bags for up to four months without sacrificing much on quality. Just be sure to leave some room for expansion in the container.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
This soup gets it's heartiness from the pasta that is used.
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 2 5.5 ounce cans V-8
- 2 large diced potatoes
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 cup corn, canned or frozen
- 1/2 cup barley
- 8 ounces pasta
Fill a 6-quart dutch oven or large stock pot half full of water. Add the stew meat and heat on high until it starts to boil. Watch carefully because the drippings out of the meat will cause it to boil over once it reaches proper temperature. Reduce to a gentle boil and boil for one hour.
Add the carrots, celery, beef broth and V-8, and gently boil for another 45 minutes.
Add the potatoes, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic salt, Italian seasonings and Creole seasoning and gently boil another 30 minutes.
Add the corn, barley and pasta and boil over medium heat for another 15 minutes.
If you find that the soup does not have enough liquid for your liking, add additional water or another can of V-8 since the pasta absorbs much of the liquid.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating.–xoxo Renea
After you try this soup recipe, you will understand why I call it a BEST. For another great soup, try my Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup. For a crock pot version, Spent with Pennies has a recipe for Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup you might like to try.
Click HERE for more about Inspire a Creation.