My Ranch Beans Transformed into Chili Mac make the perfect side for a camping trip or weenie roast.
Ranch Beans Transformed into Chili Mac
We recently hosted a byow (bring your own weenie) gathering on a camping trip. I wanted to make a side dish that would compliment this type of campfire cooking. I immediately thought of my ranch bean recipe that I have been making for many years. And what’s great about this recipe is that the leftover beans can be incorporated with cooked macaroni to make chili mac. Now that is called making good use of the leftovers.
These are the BEST ranch beans, and here is why:
- These beans can be cooking while you are visiting with others.
- These beans can be made in the oven, the crock pot, on the stove or in an electric skillet.
- The ingredients are easy to transport, even if you are tent camping.
What goes into Ranch Beans Transformed into Chili Mac?
- ground beef
- red onion
- pork & beans
- chili hot beans
- onion soup mix
- salt & pepper
How to make Ranch Beans Transformed into Chili Mac:
- Brown the ground beef and onion, drain.
- Drain most of the liquid off the pork & beans and add to the ground beef along with the chili hot beans.
- Add the onion soup mix, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven, crock pot, stovetop or electric skillet.
Notes–The three most important things about this recipe:
- This is a very forgiving recipe. You almost cannot go wrong.
- I have used kidney beans instead of the chili hot beans in the past. I prefer the chili hot beans which are really not very hot in this recipe.
- Be sure to cook the macaroni before adding it to the beans since the beans are already cooked.
When should I serve Ranch Beans Transformed into Chili Mac?
This is the perfect fall side dish for an open-fire camping trip. There is something about the combination of beans and weenies that you cannot beat.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
This recipe is great for an open-fire cookout. And you can recycle the leftovers into chili mac!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cans pork and beans
- 1 can chili hot beans
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked
- use the remaining beans
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion until the meat is no longer pink and the onion is tender. Drain
Drain most of the liquid off the pork & beans, and add them to the ground beef. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Oven preparation: bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Crock pot preparation: 2-4 hours on high
Electric skillet or stovetop preparation: simmer on low 20+ minutes
With the leftover beans, add the cooked macaroni and heat in a large pan. It may be necessary to add a little water or additional ketchup to add moisture.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating…xoxo Renea
After you try this bean recipe, you will understand why I call it a BEST. Need a recipe for green beans, try my Seasoned Green Beans and New Potatoes. Cookie and Kate has a post titled 16 Delicious Recipes Featuring Beans that could interest you.