If you are a seafood lover, you will flip over my Shrimp and Crab Salad. And the versatility cannot be beat!
Seafood Salad is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I am just that crazy about seafood.
However, I usually order my seafood in a restaurant because of the difficulty of getting it just right. Well, this is one you will get right the first time from your very own kitchen. And you will not believe just how easy this recipe is.
This is the BEST Shrimp and Crab Salad, and here is why:
- This salad actually uses imitation crab meat which is actually a white fish.
- Precooked store-bought shrimp is also used in this recipe.
- Serve this as an appetizer, sandwich or toss it with some pasta.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- shrimp – precooked small
- imitation crab meat – this is a much easier product to work with than real crab meat
- cheese – I like shredded mild cheddar
- Miracle Whip – I prefer the light variety
- tartar sauce
- pickle relish – sweet
- lettuce – a frilly lettuce like romaine makes the prettiest presentation
- green onion – sliced
- celery – diced
- buns – hoagie, submarine or hamburger
- dry mustard
- seafood seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Kranch sauce (optional)
How to easily make this recipe:
A full printable recipe is available in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Combine the shrimp, crab meat, celery, pickle relish, Miracle Whip, tartar sauce, cheese and all the spices in a medium-size bowl. Mix well.
- Open the buns and place some lettuce on the bottom bun.
- Pile high with the seafood salad.
- Drizzle with the optional Kranch sauce.
- Sprinkle with the sliced green onion.
- red onion – This will provide additional color, flavor and texture
- diced green pepper
- pasta – make it a delicious pasta salad
- boiled eggs – chopped
The three most important things about this recipe:
- This salad is best if you can refrigerate it several hours before serving. That way, the flavors have a chance to get really cold and compliment each other.
- For the ease of preparation, I highly recommend using the imitation crab meat. It is processed to acquire the taste of crab, and my experience has been that it tastes much better than canned.
- You could cook your own shrimp and chill for this recipe. But honestly, why would you want to. Let the grocery store do all the work. You can find the cooked shrimp and imitation crab meat in the refrigerated and frozen seafood section.
How should I serve this recipe?
I prefer to serve this salad as a sandwich, but it is also excellent served on buttery crackers. In addition, throw in some cooked pasta, and you now have a great pasta salad.
Have extra tomatoes from the garden? Core them and slice into 8 sections and pile high with this salad. This makes a deliciously different lunch. How pretty!
How long will this salad last in the refrigerator, and can I freeze it?
This salad will keep well in your refrigerator for three to four days. Yes, you can freeze this salad. But why would you want to? It will disappear very quickly. NOTE: You may need to drain off excess water when thawing it.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
This salad will be a favorite you will turn to often.
- 12 ounces small or extra-small cooked shrimp
- 12 ounces imitation crab meat, flake style
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 1/3 cup tartar sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 buns (hoagie, submarine or hamburger)
- Kranch sauce (optional)
- 1 sliced green onion
In a medium bowl, mix the first 11 ingredients well.
Open the buns and place some lettuce on the bottom bun.
Pile on a scoop of salad, drizzle with Kranch if desired and garnish with the sliced green onion. Serve the top bun propped up on the side.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments, and give it a star rating. xoxo Renea
Need a great side dish to serve alongside this recipe? Try:
- Easy Southern Hush Puppies Recipe by savoryexperiments.com
- The Best Keto Mashed Cauliflower Recipe by wholesomeyum.com
- How to Make Kettle Chips by momfoodie.com
I have been cooking, gardening, crafting and DIYing for years to Inspire a Creation.