Sweet potatoes have a natural sweetness about them. But if you want to make them really yummy, try my Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans and Marshmallows.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans and Marshmallows
It is really hard for me to put this dish in one category. I always serve it as a side dish, but it works just as well as a dessert. I have been making this recipe for a number of years, tweaking it along the way. For example, if you bake this casserole in a 9 x 13 oblong baking dish, you have more surface area for the delicious toppings.
This is the BEST sweet potato casserole with pecans, and here is why:
- Who says you have to use a streusel topping or marshmallows–use them both!
- This buttery casserole only takes 30 minutes of baking time, freeing up your oven for other dishes.
- For additional yumminess, add the optional pineapple tidbits.
To make Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans and Marshmallows, you will need:
- sweet potatoes
- butter – I like unsalted which is in the potatoes and the topping
- light brown sugar – dark brown sugar would also work
- chopped pecans
- marshmallows -mini
- Optional: pineapple tidbits
How to easily make Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans and Marshmallows:
- Cook several sweet potatoes, enough to make 3 cups mashed.
- Add one stick of butter to the hot sweet potatoes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer, mix this together.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Optional: stir in the pineapple tidbits.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture in a 9 x 13 sprayed baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter.
- Add the flour, pecans and brown sugar and mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for half of the baking time.
- Remove from the oven and add the marshmallows to the top.
- Continue to bake until done.
The three most important things about this recipe are:
- Wash your sweet potatoes and chop them up. You can then boil them with the skin on and peel them after cooking which will make for much easier peeling. Sweet potatoes are pretty tough.
- I prefer to make this dish in a 9 x 13 baking dish, but you could use something smaller which would produce a thicker result.
- Be sure not to add your eggs into really hot sweet potatoes, or you will scramble the eggs.
What should I serve with Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans and Marshmallows, and when should I serve it?
This is a great side dish for the holidays. Not only does it taste great, but it makes a pretty presentation. But don’t limit yourself to the winter holidays. You could actually make this one all year long. Especially since most of the grocery stores sell sweet potatoes year round.
This gooey creation even works nicely for dessert. After all, it has a streusel topping and marshmallows.
Can I make Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans and Marshmallows ahead of time?
Yes, I would make the sweet potatoes and toppings up separately and refrigerate separately. Remove from the refrigerator for at least an hour before assembling in your casserole dish and baking as directed.
If you like this recipe, please like and share it–Thanks!
Why do you need to pick between a struesel topping and marshmallows? Why not both?
- 3-4 whole large sweet potatoes, enough to make 3 cups mashed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, slightly packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into medium-size chunks. Boil these about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Spread them out on a tray to cool slightly before peeling.
To a large mixing bowl, add the sweet potatoes, margarine, sugar and vanilla and mix well with a mixer. Make sure the mixture has cooled some before adding the eggs and mixing well. OPTIONAL: Add the pineapple tidbits and mix. Spread the mixture into a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish.
To a small mixing bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Add the light brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans and mix well until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the dish and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
If you made this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments and give it a star rating.–xoxo Renea
After you try this casserole recipe, you will understand why I call it a BEST. For another great holiday side dish, try my Dressed Up Sausage Dressing. The Wholesome Dish has a recipe for The Best Classic Green Bean Casserole you may want to check into.